Imperial Parade Phaeton
In 1952 Chrysler supplied custom-built Parade Phaetons to New York, Los Angeles and The White House for transporting dignitaries in parades and other special events. Built on extended Crown Imperial chassis, all three were returned to Chrysler in 1955 to be updated with new 1956 “Forward Look” styling. Their striking appearance and frequent use by high-profile celebrities gave Chrysler important exposure that enhanced the prestige of their production cars. This car was originally intended for the White House. However, since the White House is not permitted to receive gifts of this nature, Chrysler retained the car and shipped it around at its discretion. Known as “The Detroit Car,” this Phaeton was often used by President Eisenhower and President Nixon. It was sold out of the Chrysler motor pool in approximately 1970 and today is the only one of the original three that is privately owned. The other two are still owned and used by the cities of New York and Los Angeles.
The Margie and Robert E. Petersen Collection