1920 Indian Daytona Racer with Flxicar
Motivated by lackluster racing results in 1915, Indian developed a new Powerplus engine that was introduced along with its innovative “keystone” frame design in 1919. The following year, the Daytona Racer appeared with a now-familiar “S”-shaped seat tube. Lacking brakes and full-functioning throttle, Indian Daytonas employed a kill switch located on the handlebars to slow the engine when going into turns. Sidecar versions of the Daytona were equipped with leaning “Flxicars”, which provided a passenger counterweight, improved traction, and reduced outside force, allowing for greater speeds in turns.
Collection of the Gilbert Family